Thursday 7 February 2013

Forgive me (Step) Father for I have sinned.

After finding out that I don't have to wait for the latest series of New Girl* to air in the UK to watch it (I'm slow on the uptake, I know) I grabbed my laptop and started watching the first episode. 
After going through, let's say, not the best couple of weeks of my life, one of the closing quotes particularly spoke to me, as lame as it is. 

“Yeah, life sucks. And then, it gets better and then it sucks again and it just…sucks.”

It's not Shakespeare, nor is it Plato or Marilyn Monroe. It's the work of Elizabeth Meriwether and Kay Cannon spoken by actor Jake Johnson who is portraying the beautiful, bearded and cynical character that is Nick Miller. 

If you're still reading this; I expect you to be all thinking "What the fuck are you talking about?" BARE WITH ME. 

The point I'm trying to make is that, as positive as I try to be in life, the quote spoke to me because it's true. I don't want to be negative, I hate being negative. But there's a difference between looking and life cynically and being realistic. Life is good for a bit when things are going your way, when you get that guy, that job, that pay cheque that means you can run through Topshop like a gazelle in the wild picking up dresses you'll never wear and not caring about the price tag. Life is good when you and your family are in good health and you lose a bit of weight because you're actually sticking to a diet and you have things to look forward to and FOR ONCE no one is being a dickhead. But then the guy isn't there for you anymore because of a bullshit excuse, your job becomes repetitive and mundane, you sorely regret all those dresses because you can't buy toilet paper and they just won't sell on eBay. Then the bad shit really happens and someone you love becomes ill and there's nothing you can do about it and you realise your diet means you can't eat a whole tub of Ben And Jerry's to yourself even though it's too late and the evidence is smeared around your lips. The things you looked forward to have passed and EVERYONE on the planet has decided to be a dickhead. Then you realise,  life does suck, and all you can do is deal with it.

I'm waging a juxtaposing war in my own head of positivity and negativity. Life is beautiful, but it is also full of sadness. I think what's so hard to remember though is that; it goes on. 


*BEST PROGRAMME EVER! ... LIKE SERIOUSLY EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment